Individuals may qualify for temporary or permanent residence in the United States through an investment in a United States business. Visa programs exist for both permanent residence and short-term operation of the investment business.

Immigrant Investors

The EB-5 immigrant investor program allows aliens to obtain “Green Cards” for themselves and their families by making at least a US$800,000 investment in a U.S. business. Investors may found their own businesses, obtain a franchise, or aggregate their investments with other immigrant investors using a designated Regional Center. To qualify, the investment enterprise must create ten full-time U.S. jobs within the first two years of operations. Visas are set aside in some investment categories such as rural investments, which can accelerate admission for permanent residence.

Nonimmigrant Investors

As an alternative to permanent residence, individuals seeking to start a substantial business in the United States may qualify for nonimmigrant status (E visas or L visas) to manage and develop their businesses. The E-1 and E-2 Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor visa programs allow nationals of designated countries to reside in the United States while directing operations of their own U.S.-based business. Applications are typically filed directly at the U.S. embassy.

The L-1 Intracompavy Transferee Visa is available to entrepreneurs from any country looking to establish a substantial branch within the United States and relocate here to manage it. L-1 status offers a simple transition to permanent residence after the company has been operating for at least one year.

As an additional benefit, these statuses allow E-1, E-2, and L-2 spouses of managers to request employment authorization while living in the United States.

Contact Us

Greenberg Visa Law has broad experience with alien investors and can assist you in obtaining permanent residence or establishing your qualifying enterprise. Contact us today for a consultation.